Code of Conduct – Associate Members
“Associate Member” is an individual, partnership or corporation who supplies goods and/or services to Corporate and Regular Members (members).
The Purpose of this Code of Conduct is to provide Investment Property Owners Association of Nova Scotia (IPOANS) Associate members with a set of guidelines to build and maintain high standards of respect, integrity and credibility within their respective organizations, the business community, the communities in which we work and serve and the general public. This Code of Conduct shall guide associate members in all actions and/or activities associated with providing goods and services to members in the multi-unit residential rental industry within the Province of Nova Scotia.
Associate Members shall:
- Abide by the By-Laws and Code of Conduct established for IPOANS and its members.
- Make every effort to be knowledgeable of and comply with relevant municipal by-laws, and provincial and federal legislation pertaining to multi-unit residential rental buildings and tenancies.
- Comply with all applicable environmental, health and safety regulations.
- Protect your employees’ and neighbors’ life and health, as well as the general public against hazards inherent in your processes and products.
- Use resources efficiently, apply energy efficient, environmentally friendly technologies and reduce waste, as well as emissions to air, water and soil.
- Be knowledgeable of and adhere to the provisions of the Human Rights Act of Nova Scotia treating people with dignity and respect in an environment free of unlawful discrimination.
- In accordance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act of Nova Scotia take appropriate steps to safeguard restricted or confidential information of members and disseminate information in an ethical and responsible manner.
- Provide value to IPOANS by supporting and attending events and participating in and/or contributing to IPOANS Associate Member Committee.
- Provide value to members by developing and fostering a relationship of mutual trust and awareness and providing goods and services at a cost beneficial to all members.
- Operate in a professional manner employing high standards of integrity and honesty in the treatment of and relationships with members including their residents, employees and other suppliers and contractors.
- Cooperate with IPOANS in providing an exchange of information striving to maintain and enhance the image and goodwill of the multi-unit residential rental industry and IPOANS.
- Endeavor to protect the public against fraud, misrepresentation and unethical practices.
- Avoid actions that are in conflict with or may appear to be in conflict with any of the provisions of this Code of Conduct. An associate member who violates this Code of Conduct may be reprimanded, suspended or expelled from IPOANS by resolution of the Board of Directors. No such disciplinary action shall be taken until a Disciplinary Committee, appointed by the Board of Directors, has undertaken a complete investigation and the member in question has had an opportunity to respond and, where appropriate, to correct the violation.
- This Code of Conduct may be amended by IPOANS from time to time. Enforcement and/or interpretation rest solely with IPOANS and its Board of Directors and does not imply or create any rights in favor of any specific associate member or other parties other than IPOANS.