Code of Conduct – Members
The Purpose of this Code of Conduct is to provide Investment Property Owners Association of Nova Scotia (IPOANS) owner and manager members with a set of guidelines to build and maintain high standards of respect, integrity and credibility within their respective organizations, the business community, the communities in which we work and serve and the general public. This Code of Conduct shall guide members in all actions and/or activities associated with the ownership, management and development of properties in the multi-unit residential rental industry within the Province of Nova Scotia.
- Abide by the By-Laws and Code of Conduct established for IPOANS and its members.
- Make every effort to be knowledgeable of and comply with relevant municipal by-laws, and provincial and federal legislation pertaining to multi-unit residential rental buildings and tenancies.
- Strive to provide residents with safe, clean and functional rental housing and adhere to all safety related codes.
- Be knowledgeable of and adhere to the occupational health and safety (OHS) standards as required under the Occupational Health & Safety Act of Nova Scotia.
- Be knowledgeable of and adhere to the provisions of the Human Rights Act of Nova Scotia treating people with dignity and respect in an environment free of unlawful discrimination.
- In accordance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act of Nova Scotia take appropriate steps to safeguard restricted or confidential information of residents and disseminate information in an ethical and responsible manner.
- Operate in a professional manner employing high standards of integrity and honesty in the treatment of and relationships with residents, suppliers, employees and contractors.
- Be guided by the concept of mutual respect between landlord and resident, including recognition and acceptance of the rights and responsibilities of both residents and landlords in accordance with the Residential Tenancies Act of Nova Scotia.
- Participate in Residential Tenancies processes in good faith making every effort to resolve complaints and/or disputes in a timely manner.
- Strive to maintain properties in a manner that positively impacts and contributes to the neighborhood in which they are located.
- Cooperate with IPOANS in providing an exchange of information striving to maintain and enhance the image and goodwill of the multi-unit residential rental industry and IPOANS.
- Endeavor to protect the public against fraud, misrepresentation and unethical practices.
- Avoid actions that are in conflict with or may appear to be in conflict with any of the provisions of this Code of Conduct. A member who violates this Code of Conduct may be reprimanded, suspended or expelled from IPOANS by resolution of the Board of Directors. No such disciplinary action shall be taken until a Disciplinary Committee, appointed by the Board of Directors, has undertaken a complete investigation and the member in question have had an opportunity to respond and, where appropriate, to correct the violation.
- This Code of Conduct may be amended by IPOANS from time to time. Enforcement and/or interpretation rest solely with IPOANS and its Board of Directors and does not imply or create any rights in favor of any specific member or other parties other than IPOANS.