N.S. Power drops proposed fee that opponents said would destroy solar industry
Nova Scotia Power has announced it will withdraw its application for a solar net metering charge following days of outcry from homeowners, green energy companies and elected officials over the controversial plan.
The company applied to the province’s regulator last week for various changes, including a “system access charge” of $8 per kilowatt monthly on net metered installations, a fee that opponents said would decimate the province’s burgeoning solar industry.
“It is clear to us that the complexity of the solar net metering issue means the right decision is to withdraw our application for the system access charge and we will immediately take the necessary steps to do so,” said Peter Gregg, president and CEO of Nova Scotia Power, in a statement Wednesday.
The utility’s announcement came hours after the province said it would pass laws to prevent the charge over fear it would harm the solar sector.
In a news release, Premier Tim Houston said his Progressive Conservative government agrees the net metering program needs changes, but not ones that would discourage people from embracing green energy projects. … [Read More]